High Demand Courses: Frequently Asked Questions

Where can I find a list of classes that will be offered through the High Demand Courses ?

You can visit High Demand Courses website at http://online.sjsu.edu/courses/index.html.

If I am enrolled at SJSU, can I take a class through the High Demand Courses?

Yes, courses are also available to matriculated and non-matriculated students. Current students interested in taking a course through High Demand Courses can register for the class at MySJSU.

When can I register for a class through the High Demand Courses ?

Registration window for these courses will commence approximately two (2) weeks prior to the start of the course/session.

How much does it cost to take courses through the High Demand Courses?

Tuition for these courses will be based on per-unit cost ranging from the mid- to high-$300 per unit.

When is tuition due?

See calendar for deadline. After the deadline, tuition is due upon registering. Student may be dropped (un-enrolled) from the course for non-payment. Refunds will be made according to the following schedule:

  • Prior to first day of the session – 100% refund
  • One (1) week into the session – 90% refund
  • No refund beyond the first week of the session

Is financial aid available for classes taken through the High Demand Courses?

There is limited aid available to matriculated students who enroll in these courses. Students should speak to a financial aid counselor to discuss their specific award eligibility. For those students who will be enrolled through Open University, there is no aid available.

Visit the Financial Aid and Scholarship Office in the Student Services Center (SSC), located on the first floor of the 10thStreet Parking Garage; on the corner of 9th and San Fernando Street, (408)283-7500 (press #6), or website at: http://www.sjsu.edu/faso.

If I am a matriculated student at SJSU and want to take a class through the High Demand Courses, do I register for classes through High Demand Courses before I figure out whether or not I qualify for more/some Financial Aid?

No, before you register for classes through High Demand Courses, you should see a Financial Aid Counselor. The staff member will determine any remaining eligibility and inform you of your next steps to receive the additional aid, if any.

Can I enroll in High Demand Courses if I am enrolled at my unit cap (e.g. 15 units for undergraduate students and 18 units for graduating seniors)?

Currently, undergraduate students* may add up to 15 units and petition for up to 18 units. Graduating seniors may add 18 units and petition for up to 21 units. You can get the most up to date "Excess Units Petition" at the Office of the Registrar’s form webpage.

*Students on probationary status, please get approval from AARS (Academic & Advising Retention Services).

*Students on remedial status, please get approval from Susan McClory.

*Students who are on probationary or remedial status will not be approved for more than 14 units.

I am an International Student with an F-1 visa, could I take a class through the High Demand Courses?

​Yes you can. However, for F-1 International Students, no more than the equivalent of one class or three credits per semester may be counted towards the "full course of study" requirement if taken online.

Where can I get help if I run into technical issues with my online courses?

The IT Help Desk provides assistance with technical issues that may arise while taking an online course. You can visit their website at http://www.sjsu.edu/at/hd/, or ithelpdesk@sjsu.edu.

Will I be automatically dropped from my class if I don’t pay on time?

You WILL NOT be automatically dropped from class(es) for non-payment. It is your responsibility to officially drop from the class(es) to avoid academic penalty. Please visit http://online.sjsu.edu/students/index.html for specific dates on dropping through MySJSU or through the "Petition for Course Drop" under the Academic Advising and Retention Services (AARS)'s Petition .